Biscuits


I don’t understand why buttermilk always comes in such large containers. I have yet to see a recipe that calls for more than ¾ a cup (or even a cup max). But yet, there it is, sitting in the milk section of every grocery store in quart cartons without any other options. Hell I have yet to see more than one brand per grocer… And every time I buy it I find myself wasting the vast majority of the unused buttermilk. Personally, I hate wasting food so I find this to be completely frustrating. So when I decided to make biscuits, I was torn between using the buttermilk biscuit recipe that looked good (no lard and no added sugar – from the Neelys) and a regular biscuit recipe where I would bake the biscuit on a skillet (and use a cup of sugar – good ol’ Paula Deen). So I thought it would be worth trying to “make” buttermilk, that way I could use the recipe that I wanted to try – no sugar added and baking them in the oven.

To make buttermilk I put a tablespoon of white vinegar in a cup of milk – let it sit while I got the rest of my ingredients together – then measured out the amount I needed. The milk itself just smelt like vinegar, which worried me. The final results of the biscuits lacked the rising that I had hoped for, confirming my fears. I am very suspicious of the vinegar and it’s chemical reaction with the baking soda/powder. But they still tasted excellent, flaky and moist, almost like a croissant, exactly how I wanted them to taste. But next time – I will just buy the buttermilk…

Difficulty: Easy

From: The Neelys’ Recipe on foodnetwork.com

Tips:
Keep and eye on your oven, especially if you have a convection oven – I nearly burnt mine and I took them out a good 5 minutes early and they were only supposed to take 20 minutes (I was using a different oven then I am used to – and it is a convection oven).

1 comment: