Anadama Bread


Wanting to break free of the monotony of the constantly making 100% whole wheat, I decided to try a variation in the Reinhart book. For this bread, the soaker is made with a significant amount of cornmeal and instead of honey I used molasses. Aside from that the process was pretty much the same as the 100% whole wheat bread. The end result was tasteful, though more crumbly than a more traditional whole wheat bread. Because of the cornmeal, gluten could not form in the way that bonds normally exist in bread. I personally think that this bread would make better buns than sandwich bread. Then again I also probably didn’t hydrate the yeast properly and I used regular filtered water instead of potato water.

Difficulty: Average

from: Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor.

No comments: