Whole-Wheat Tortillas

With the summer heat already causing temperatures in my apartment to spiral upward, I decided to give my kitchen a break from the oven and try my hand at tortillas. Since I had whole wheat flour already, and though traditional tortillas are made from masa (cornmeal dough) I personally like wheat tortillas as much as corn, I quickly searched the internet for a simple whole-wheat recipe. In relatively short period of time, I found a recipe that seemed to follow the same techniques that I have witnessed around LA for years. The whole process took about an hour (including letting the dough rest for 15 minutes) but that is largely due to the fact I am extremely slow rolling out dough… hell I am just terrible at it in general. All in all, they turned out perfectly on my second attempt, flavorful but not overpowering and a perfect compliment to the chicken and salsa within them.

Difficulty: easy

From: http://www.asksasha.com/Healthy-Cooking/Homemade-Whole-Wheat-Tortillas-Recipe.html


Tips:
1) Before rolling out the tortilla, roll the dough balls into a spherical a ball as you can, this will produce more circular tortillas
2) Roll them as thinly, basically to their stretching point. They should feel like finished tortillas.
3) I found that I needed about 2 more Tablespoons than the recipe had originally called.

No comments: